West Branch Canoe Trip or Finger Lakes Hiking
Canoe trip or hiking? If you're thinking we couldn't make up our minds, such is not the case. Our hope is to be able to canoe the West Branch of the Susquehanna in central PA from Shawville (not far from Clearfield) to Karthaus. This is a very remote area of the state. Picture deep forests with hemlocks, rhododendrons and birdsong! Why then mention the Finger Lakes Hiking option? Because water levels on the river need to be running around 3 feet in order for the river to be navigable. If that's not the case, we'll head to the Finger Lakes instead and hike the gorges and waterfalls. This decision will be made about a week before the actual trip, and Matt Carter will contact you with details.
In either case, this is a trip that anyone who loves the outdoors and roughing it will love. Neither trip is overly physically demanding. The river is not whitewater, and the hiking is not overly strenuous. That said, it will be four days of moving and exercise! We'll spend mornings and evenings together in the Word and in song. This is outdoor adventure and spiritual refreshment at its best!
- Trip size is limited! We have enough room for 18 total at the campground, including adults. This is a first-come, first-served trip. Sign up online to reserve your spot!
- Also, there will be a mandatory meeting for those going on the trip on July 20th between Sunday services. If you are out of town and cannot make it, that is understood, but if you are in town please try to make it. We'll meet in the teen triple room right after Sunday School.
- We'll meet at CEFC on Wednesday, July 23 at 7:00 AM and depart hopefully by 7:30 AM.
- We'll plan to return to Elverson sometime in the afternoon or evening on Saturday, July 26. Students can call parents once we're on the road and have a better time when we'll be back.
Cost and sign-ups:
- $100. Checks should be made out to "CEFC" with "Finger Lakes trip" marked in the memo line. Payment is due to Matt Carter or Andi Colmery no later than July 13.
- Online sign-ups are due no later than July 6! A few scholarships are available. Please talk to Matt if you need one.
- We'll get two meals on the road so bring $20 in cash for those meals. Beyond that, we'll be combining food in coolers and sharing cooking and cleaning responsibilities. Matt Carter will take one or two of you along to do the shopping just before the trip.
What to bring checklist:
- Tents (we'll team up on these once we know who is going)
- Sleeping bag, camping mattress, pillow
- Hiking and/or water shoes or sandals for water, and a pair of shoes that'll stay dry for around the camp
- Shorts and tees, one pair of long pants
- Rain jacket and a hat
- Comfy camp clothes (sweats?)
- Towel and toiletries
- Flashlight, bug repellant, sunscreen!
- A mess kit of some kind (plate, bowl, cup, silverware)
- I'll be asking a couple of you to help with providing cookware
- A dry bag if we go canoeing (you may need to borrow or purchase one of these, or if you want to risk it, use a heavy duty garbage bag for whatever you need to keep dry)
- A daypack for our hikes if we go to the Finger Lakes
- Nalgene bottles (I have water bottles I will be bringing along)